Saturday, February 23, 2013

It's been a while

Unfortunately, I have not written a blog in quite a while. Being sick and what not, I could not think of a better time to reignite it than when I was stuck inside the flat. Ironically, a lot has occurred within the past few months since I've written my last blog post. Trips to Granada, Sevilla, Cordoba, Avila, and Toledo within Spain and a trip to Porto, Portugal were taken. Also, I went back to the US for a few weeks to undergo interviews for medical school. Along the way, my patience has skyrocketed after working with 3rd and 4th graders on a daily basis and I've been loving (primarily) my time in Madrid thus far.

But perhaps the greatest piece of news is that I was accepted to NYU MED! NYU was my #1 school coming back to Spain after my interviews, and I'm glad that everything worked out. Though my mind can certainly change, at the moment this is the best option on the table in my eyes that would best fit me and what I want for my medical education.

There are many things that I loved about NYU: the pragmatic and newly innovated curriculum (c21 curriculum as it's called) with 3D imaging to accompany traditional cadaver-based anatomy, a major respect for and plethora of opportunities in Global Health, the combined degree program with a Master's in Public Health (Global Health Leadership), rotations at Bellevue hospital (which has primarily an underserved and extremely diverse patient population, and is perhaps the most "global hospital" that exists in the US), the shortened pre-clinical period (1.5 years instead of 2 years) to allow for more electives and selectives in the 4th year (or a health policy research period, as an example), and the list goes on and on . . .

Here is a video of that 3D imaging I wrote about:

Demo of the 3D imaging:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p23_QAqazXU

Accompanied TED Speech:
http://www.tedmed.com/talks/show?id=7314#6:04

No comments:

Post a Comment