Saturday, October 27, 2012

US Election

Aside from the bickering and misleading ads, I actually enjoy election seasons. The funny SNL bloopers, political cartoons, post-debate reviews, polls, and constant reminder that I should be staying abreast of economic issues are all pretty interesting.

This is the first election where I am eligible to vote (sent in my ballot two weeks ago) despite being substantially more engaged in the political process in 2008 when I organized for Obama's Presidential campaign. If I had the opportunity to do the same for Obama this year, I certainly would repeat it. On issues such as healthcare reform, sensible and just taxation on millionaires and billionaires, the economy, civil rights (for women and the LGBTQ community), ending the Iraq war, and placing a pathway to the end of the war in Afghanistan, Obama has my critical support.

I am critical of Obama, but even on points of criticism, I know Romney's view would be more devastating to our country, and the world. As a reminder, however, elections in America are simply about choosing the better candidate (or, lesser of the two evils) of the two presented. For me, fighting for the better option is enough of an impetus to get up and be involved in the political process.

The thing is . . . I'm kind of not in the US this time around.

If you have been an expat in a foreign country during an election year--and have done a pretty commendable job of integrating yourself in the local culture--you can easily relate to the questions always being asked about the two candidates and the election in general. As humble as I try to be about America's worldwide dominance (for better or for worse; though I'm sure that dominance will look quite different in the coming decades), I have realized that an enormous amount of people around the world are watching and waiting to see what goes on in the US election season and its result.

If you were not aware of the foreign perception of Obama vs. Republicans, favoritism for Obama would be an understatement. When people think of Romney, they think of Bush (and with good reason). On foreign affairs, massive tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires, anti-women and anti-LGBTQ views, increased debt burden on the middle class, hurting public education, raising student debt, deregulating the economy, anti-environment, anti-clean energy, privatization of social security, war hawkish rhetoric, and increasing defense spending by trillions of dollars, I can see why they relate Romney to Bush.

Also, people abroad have taken notice of Romney's fair share of Bush-esque bloopers. They have never been less than excited to share their laughs with me. Let me share a couple of quotes with you:






Lastly, what would a post about the elections be without a plug on voting!?

Well, I actually believe that telling everyone to vote would be an irresponsible action. Unfortunately, uncontrolled Super PACs have taken a massive control on our country's dissemination of political "information" leaving many voters with nothing more than a few sound bites of ridiculous partisan statements to comprise the foundation of their vote. I do not ask that everyone votes; I simply ask that if you decide to vote, please do so after making an honest effort to find credible information about each candidate.

I mean, really, we only have two options for president. Don't be lazy. We never know how the balance in the senate and the house may turn out, so it's even more critical that you "voice" an educated opinion. 

Peace,

Ameer

No comments:

Post a Comment